We have so much less space. We went from a 115 year old, 4 story 6 bedroom house with a yard in West Philadelphia to living in a 2006 Honda Odyssey. To say it is a big change would be an understatement. We have discovered some aspects that are surprisingly easy, while other unexpected things have thrown us for a loop, like not having enough room to stand up and put your pants on.
Henry and I both switched to the “uniform” wardrobe before leaving. Here is how it works:
You wear the same thing each day. Pretty simple.
Exception: I have different clothing that I wear for running, yoga, and hiking.
Obviously, we have many pairs of socks and underwear but Henry and I each opted for 1 pair of black pants for our journey. His are high tech and waterproof from a company called Outlier, mine are essentially jeggings from Uniqlo. Henry brought about 6 of his favorite tee shirts. I brought three button down blouses (Wrinkle Free). We do laundry about once a week and for a change we wear workout clothes 1-3 days a week.
What is awesome about this:
- I love the uniform outfit I chose, although I sometimes feel like I might be confused for a caterer.
- It is really easy to store one pair of pants and three blouses in the “drawer” I use.
- I can put on sneakers, boots, high heels, a jacket, different jewelry, and dress it up or down.
- I am not bored of my outfit and it has been almost two months. When I wish I was wearing something different I am quickly reminded how much I prefer being uncluttered to having lots of clothing.
- On a more serious note, we are contributing a lot less to the 10.5 million tons of clothing ending up in landfills, and all of the waste and human rights violations that occur along the production line.
What is not awesome about this:
- My shirts are not actually wrinkle free and I look like I just found my shirt crumbled up in a ball under my bed after a month. (even when folded straight out of the dryer!)
- When we go longer than a week or the weather is unexpectedly hot I run out of clothes. This is pretty easy to fix, except that I am not going to purchase more of the most wrinkly shirts in the world that claim to be wrinkly free.
In summary, it was a surprisingly easy switch! I waste no time figuring out what to wear and I do not have those moments where I look at mountains of clothes and think, ugg I don’t want to wear any of this. I chose one outfit that makes me pretty happy.
Love – N